Thursday 27 March 2014

Chicken Meat Loaf

Meat loaf ..this word first came across to me as a possible description of a Meaty looking Loafy person ;) ..well I was such an uninitiated person and thankfully I did not mouth my imagination to the sweet person who mentioned it to me .
She then saw the lost expression on my face and offered me a sliver of the meat loaf she got from the shop.
I absolutely loved it,but found it a little high on salt .

This was my 1st ever meat loaf ...I liked it ,but thought it could be better.

Its been many years since then ,and I have made many a meat loaves..and I have tried many mixes and found each one great!
Chicken loaf is the best ,by far...and my family agrees.I find it easier to cook,chew ;) and digest!

The thing with chicken loaf is ,that all I  need to do is make the mix and stack it up in the freezer and pop it into the oven when I feel lazy to cook a full dinner/lunch.
It goes so well with breads ,as a side dish to flavored rice and is plain yummy as a meal in itself. 

I like to keep a stock of either cooked or yet to be cooked loaves ,as the hungry mouths I have in my house are unpredictable at all times.
The cooked ones dont stay for a long time..as the hungry mouths come with little hands and fingers  as an attachment and at one point or the other,they reach for the loaf!!!

My recipe for the loaf is not traditional at all and it changes with what ingredients I have on hand.

So here goes..

Chicken Meat loaf


Chicken mince 1 kg
Eggs -------------2
Bread powdered-4 slices
Onions diced or grated-2 
Garlic-minced -2 big cloves
Pepper- to taste
Tomato sauce-1/4cup [or my homemade ketchup]
Mustard or Kasundi [thats my touch ;)]-3 tsp or more
Chilli flakes or powder-to taste
Oregano+Basil+Rosemary Mix-1 tbsp[or just a big spoon of ready made Pizza masala]
Salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 180 deg
Mix all the ingredients together and check for seasonings.
Put into a greased loaf tin and brush a thick layer of tomato sauce or my homemade ketchup homemade ketchup over the loaf.
Bake at 180 deg for 1 and 15 mins[check on the loaf from 1 hour onward.It is done and ready to go,when a skewer or toothpick poked into the middle of the loaf comes clean]
Let the loaf rest for 5 to 10 mins ,before slicing the yummy loaf!!

Make pretty sandwiches with chicken loaf slices ,mayonaise,mustard,sauce and veggies.






















P.S-The Loaf can be made even more interesting by adding chopped capsicum , jalapeno peppers ,boiled egg[grated] etc .

No comments: