Thursday 14 March 2013

SOYA AND MOTH DAL

My family is a dal crazy family and I love to try new types of dals ,..so that is a very convenient arrangement!
I have tried most dals,but moth/matki or turkish gram was alien to my pressure cooker. 
My friend told me that it gives and amazing creamy texture to the final product.That got me ticking...surely want to try something that will give a creamy taste ,without adding cream.hmmm

To my amazement,the dal was super creamy and yummy.I added 1/2 a cup of soya beans too.That increased the bulk and taste of the dish and it looked good too.

My kids would never have had the dal if they knew that there was soya bean in it..so i did not even mention that :)
My son was the first one to ask me what the big bean ,which looked like  a cross between a lobia and rajma was....Well,I had to tell them ,but that didnt stop them from wiping their bowls clean! Result-Happy Mommy!!


Moth dal-also known as Turkish gram-1 cup
 Soya beans 1/2 cup
 Onion--1 chopped
Tomato--2 chopped
 
Turmeric---1/2 tsp

Chilli powder--1 spoon
a pinch of kasuri methi..
 Mustard seeds --1/2 tsp
Jeera-----/2 tsp
Curry leaves --1 spring
a pinch of hing
Ginger minced--1/2 TSP
Green chillies cut---2
Garlic minced1/2 TSP




  1. Soak moth and soya beans overnight.
  2. Cook in pressure cooker and keep aside.
  3. In a kadai heat oil ,put mustard seeds,jeera,curry leaves,a pinch of hing, ginger ,green chillies and garlic minced and fry .
  4. Add one onion chopped and fry till it turns a golden brown..1/2 tsp of turmeric,1 spoon chilli powder and a pinch of kasuri methi..
  5. Then add 2 chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomato turns pulpy .
  6. Add the cooked dal and salt.
  7. Add enough water and bring to a boil.garnish with chopped dhania and if you are in a mood for indulgence add a dollop of ghee.

No comments: