Monday 26 January 2015

Dhaaba Shtyle Rajma

Childhood in our sleepy lil hamlet of Alwal was made memorable by the yummy food my mom dished out,hungry after playing ,we would devour it all up in a jiffy.There was another sweet chef who fed us the most yummy punjaabi khaana ..left us wanting for more and more...Our dear Aunty...She was mom to our  best friends.
.For us ,she was a constant supply of yummilicious Punjabi khaana...starting from the masala chai to the kadhi to the plain dal to the.......Rajma.....I could kill for this dish...
I remember,I used to be thrilled when my mom and dad had to go out and  left us at Auntys home ,in my lil mind was the undying hope that aunty would have made rajma for lunch[please God please!!!]

Years later ,when I was pregnant with my second baby,I craved for rajma like never before...Unfortunately I was not able to have the rajma to my taste....it was never the same as aunty made..I have found myself searching for the perfect Rajma recipe ....never the familiar taste.

I chanced upon a recipe from the net and did my additions to that....and BAM!!!I had the perfect recipe....THE PERFECT RAJMA!!

My recipe asks for unsoaked kidney beans[rajma] 
If you wish you can soak and cook it .

Ingredients

Rajma 250gms
Onions -3 big sliced
Tomatoes-4 to 5 big sliced
Garlic-4
Ginger -a small piece
Jeera-1/2 tsp

Masalas
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Chilly powder-2 or more tsp[depends on how spicy you want it to be]
Kitchen king Masala-1 and 1/2 tsp
Garam masala-two pinches[purely optional]

Garnish with coriander leaves

Method
1.Cook the unsoaked rajma in a cooker [with enough water] for  10 to 12 whistles[if you add a pinch of baking soda,it gets cooked in 7 whistles,I read that info in thefoodofindia blog]
2.Take a kadhai and heat oil in it.Add jeera and let it splutter
3.Add the sliced onions ,ginger and garlic
4.Once the onions get transparent,add the masalas and saute
5.Add the chopped tomato and add salt.
6.Cook till mushy soft and well done.
7.Cool and grind to a paste
8.Mix this gorgeous paste to the cooked rajma ,add a cup of water[if needed] and check for seasonings.
9.Close the cooker and cook the rajma for another 2 whistles[or simply boil on medium flame for 20 mins...pressure cooker is easier ,na?]
10.Once the pressure has settled..open,add a spoon of ghee and chopped coriander

Resist as much as you can....the heady Rajma aroma,its silken texture and taste will get you ,once and for all :D

Serve hot with phulkas or with plain rice.....
Sheer blissssssssssssss.........
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       


No comments: